Search This Blog

Wednesday, September 5, 2012

52 Weeks of Fitness: Getting Back on Track AGAIN

It seems as if 50% of the content on this blog is made up of apologies for not keeping up with the 52 Weeks of Fitness series. I left off after the midpoint, where I summed up what I've learned so far and what I plan to do in the future. Here's another lesson: keeping track of my fitness progress via blog posts is a chore. I don't like doing it. Hence why I conveniently *forget* to post updates for a long time. Like a looooooooong time. So here's what's been going on since the last time I typed here (two months ago, as I look at my calendar):

  • I finished out the Strength II phase of the NROL (FUN workouts, by the way)
  • I then progressed to Hypertrophy III, but stopped because a week and a half of 12-14 hour days with the drumline.
  • I also slacked off for the first week and a half-ish of school, saying that I was "getting my bearings." Well guess what? I'm about as ready as I'll ever be for this school year, so it's time to dive in and make the best of things.

So now I'm at an interesting point: I don't have much time at all for workouts, and I need to avoid serious anterior stress while marching season is going on (cymbals are a highly chest and anterior deltoid-requiring instrument). In light of these constraints, I'm going to try programming my own workouts again. It'll be a two-day split, and look something like this:

A

Pullups - 3 sets of 10 reps
Weighted Dip - 4 x 3
Row - 3 x 10
One-arm DB Row (if time permits) - 3 x 8
Rowing Machine (if time permits) - 1 Tabata (with warmup and cooldown)
Plank - 2 x 30 sec
Weighted Crunch - 3 x 10
Back extension/Hyperextension - 3 x 10 

B

Deadlift - 3 x 5
Step-up - 3 x 10
KB Swing - 3 x 25 reps
Woodchop (on cable station) - 3 x 10
Side plank - 2 x 30 sec
1 Tabata on spin bike, followed by constant-rate cardio on the bike until time runs out

I'm banking on this simple routine, plus plenty of low-level activity during marching band/drumline rehearsals, to get me through this semester in pretty good shape. I want need this to be as flexible as possible, since my schedule is NUTS. I'll keep you posted - and that's a promise.

After this week, only 16 weeks to go!


No comments:

Post a Comment